Monday, January 28, 2008

Lynn Swann for Governor?


This was an opinion piece I wrote after I listened to Lynn Swann speak at the Pennsylvania Press Club. I took several students from Shippensburg University and it was their first look at a big name celebrity. I was not impressed. Something interesting about this is it was one of the few instances I got to write in first person.

By ALAN FOSTER
Op-Ed Patriot-News


I am rarely embarrassed for politicians, but I was for Lynn Swann after
hearing him at the Pennsylvania Press Club luncheon on Monday. He wants to
be governor of Pennsylvania, but is so woefully ill-informed that his lack
of depth on the issues and politics is beyond explanation.

In the space of five sentences he advocated cutting the corporate net income
tax, cutting property taxes, reducing the personal income tax and
eliminating the estate tax, which he called the death tax. On the other side
of the ledger he wanted to strengthen Pennsylvania’s educational system and
make schools more accountable, but had no plan to pay the bill. He seems to
think the $24 billion the state needs every year will appear out of thin
air.

In an almost bizarre statement he said he wanted to reduce the time it takes
to start a corporate farm. Corporate farms are huge enterprises usually
centered around hogs. Lots of hogs, usually 5,000 or more, and all the stink
and waste that comes with them. There is a reason state and local
governments want to be involved in regulating these enterprises.

A theme he presented was a “need for change” which has been advocated by
every challenger in every election since the beginning of politics. Another
novel idea was requesting all department heads reduce their budgets by 5 per
cent. Gee, I wonder if anyone ever considered that one before? He even
suggested enacting a cap on state spending, like the “Colorado Plan,” but
I’m sure he’s never heard of the “Colorado Plan.”

The one solid answer he gave to a question was when he was asked about the
future of wide receiver Terrell Owens of the Philadelphia Eagles. Saying
there is a coach somewhere who will be willing to take a chance on him. On
that subject, he was in his element and credible.

I don’t go to these events that often because I’m a media professor at
Shippensburg University and usually in class. This time I took ten students
the lunch. I thought they might make a few contacts that could help them
after graduation, be introduced to a different atmosphere than they
experience on campus, and get to know a little more about Pennsylvania
politics. One young woman brought along a football, and one of the guys a
Steeler towel for Swann to autograph.

The young woman wanted the football as a Christmas present for her dad, who
is a big fan. When approached, Swann told them, “I don’t do that.”

I challenge anyone in a, friendly, informal setting to ask: Rick Santorum,
Ed Rendell, Bob Casey, Tom Ridge or Arlen Specter for an autograph. They
will not only comply, but put “Best Wishes” in front of it. These guys have
learned that to get elected, people have to like you. Sounds basic, but it’s
something Swann has yet to learn. He thinks he’s a big celebrity, and that’s
all it takes to win an election.

I don’t have that much experience with big celebrities, but two years ago my
wife met former Steeler Rocky Blier at a conference in Pittsburgh. I think
it’s fair to say Blier's story of injury, recovery and success is a lot more
compelling than the prissy, privileged upbringing experienced by Swann.
Blier was gracious, posed for pictures, and yes, signed autographs. Swann
could learn a lot from his former teammate.

So far I’ve resisted the obvious sports metaphor, but in this case Swanee,
you dropped the ball.

No comments: